Fischer and the electronics market
The main issues within the electronics industry can be categorized into three sections: quality control in PCB manufacturing, compliance with the RoHS directive, and layer thickness testing in electrical connector manufacturing. These areas require attention to prevent product failures, ensure compliance with regulations, and maintain the desired properties and performance of electronic components. Fischer offers solutions to aid quality control in addressing these challenges.
The main issues in this area are preventing corrosion and enhancing conductivity in PCB tracks. These issues can lead to product failures if not addressed properly. The text emphasizes the need for quick and accurate coating analyses to ensure reasonable quality control.
The directive, adopted by the European Union in 2003, focuses on controlling the presence of heavy metals in manufacturing processes. The main issues in this context involve monitoring and controlling the maximum concentration of elements such as cadmium, mercury, chromium, lead, and bromine. Compliance with these regulations is crucial to meet the requirements of the RoHS directive.
The efficiency of connectors is directly related to the material properties, such as gold, silver, copper, and other precious or noble metals. Therefore, the main issue here is analyzing and controlling the properties of these metals through precise measurement techniques. This ensures the desired performance and quality of electrical connectors.
Layer Gauge Solution
The FMP Series, with their interchangeable probes, make it possible to take coating measurements on ferrous and non-ferrous bases using more than 70 types of high-precision probes that are ideal for quality control in the electro-electronics market.
Applications and market
- A gauge for measuring thickness on metal bases for household appliances such as refrigerators, air conditioning and microwaves
- A gauge for measuring zinc thickness on ferrous bases for corrosion protection on sheeting, bolts, nuts, etc.
- For measuring the thickness of Solder Mask on PCBs to prevent corrosion
- Together with the FTA3.3-5.6 HF probe, the FMP series is used for measuring the thickness of insulator coatings such as epoxy, silicone, resins and lacquers that protect printed circuits; these coatings are known as “Conformal Coatings”
The PHASCOPE® PMP10 is ideal for the quality control of printed circuits boards, because this equipment uses the eddy current phase-sensitive method for measuring, which offers excellent advantages for measuring small points on electronic boards.
Applications and Market
- Complex surfaces and geometries
- Measurement of electrical coatings on printed circuit boards
- By combining this device with the ESL080B / ESL08V Probes you can measure the thickness of the copper through the holes on electronic boards with diameters from 0.8mm to 2mm as it is equipped with a small needle that reaches the most difficult points
The XDAL® 237 SDD is ideal for the analysis of chemical compositions of complex alloys or elements at low concentrations and thin coatings, e.g., gold and palladium ≤ 0.1μm. Thicknesses such as these are very common on coatings that are used in electro-electronic circuit boards and connectors.
Applications and Market
- Measurement of coatings on electronic components in the semiconductor industry
The analysis of multiple coatings, such as of Au / Ni / Cu, Sn / Cu, Ag / Cu
- The analysis of heavy metals for the RoHS Directive
- Manufacturers of printed circuit boards
- Manufacturers of electro-electronics
For reliable measurements it is necessary to use calibration standards that meet the requirements of the quality management system.
FISCHER offers a wide range of certified standards in accordance with the
procedure accredited by DAkkS (ISO 17025).
The portfolio includes more than 300 calibration standards and covers a large number of applications for different industries.
Contact us now for more information
Whether you know what type of machine you require or have questions surrounding our product range, we are always happy to assist.
Get in touch and we will help you find the Fischer Instrument that best suits your needs. Our team has many years of experience and is always happy to answer your questions.
If you’d prefer to leave your details, please use the form below and we’ll get in touch as soon as we can.